[ubuntu-uk] How old is your computer - the sequel.

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 17:10:06 UTC 2014

On 9 December 2014 at 17:59, George DiceGeorge <dicegeorge at hotmail.com> wrote:
> If youre putting Lubuntu on one of them
> then put Lubuntu on all of them
> to make it as easy as possible for the users.

Whereas I would endorse that, the snag is that Lubuntu requires a PAE
CPU these days. I've tried the `forcepae` option and while it worked,
I encountered many problems -- no Wifi, screen corruption on resume
etc. This on hardware that worked flawlessly with 12.04.

As such, I'd advise LXLE -- it's an unofficial LTS (with some tweaks)
of Lubuntu 12.04 (which was *not* an LTS release).

For the newer machine, this might be limiting. If you're looking at
Mint, well, Cinnamon needs working  hardware 3D acceleration with
working drivers. MATE does not. So I'd recommend the Maté version of
Mint over Cinnamon, Unity, GNOME or any of the other 3D-accelerated
desktops.

But failing that, LXDE or XFCE should work -- neither needs 3D.