[ubuntu-uk] GNOME 3 slow to respond to Meta key after booting up

Steven Roberts cwmbranmathstutor at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 21:54:26 UTC 2014

Hi there Ubuntu and Linux users,

I have recently upgraded my Ubuntu desktop from 12.04 to 14.04, the 12.04
originally being a GNOME remix that I downloaded.

I enjoy being able to slide my mouse pointer to the top left corner to
access the screen where you search for your applications or pressing the
meta/windows key to provide the same result.

My problem is regarding the time it takes for the search screen to activate
once I have moved my mouse pointer to the top left corner. The real problem
is when I first try this after booting up the machine.

On 12.04 it would take about half a second, if I remember correctly, and
then pretty much instantaneously if I did this shortcut again during a
session. With 14.04 (I waited til 26th July to go from LTS to LTS, by the
way) the first time takes about 10 seconds to display the applications
screen. Each time I use the shortcut after that it is still taking a few
seconds.

I did have a search of Google and a couple of Stack Exchange sites but
can't find anything helpful - maybe it would help if I knew the correct
names of the operations I'm describing.

In the grand scheme of things it's not the worst problem to have - but I do
like GNOME 3; I feel it makes things quicker with the way I tend to work.
And I have a tiny screen on the system in question so it is normally a
great way of finding my running applications/windows.

I neglected to check what versions of GNOME I've been running.

My machine has onboard graphics and is 32-bit with about 4GB RAM. Pretty
basic CPU I think too! That's what you get when you use discarded PCs!

I presume there's a file somewhere that has a setting for how or when
applications are indexed.

I have quite a lot of applications installed - music production, video
editing, office, games, maths/fractals, programming, photo editing/viewing
- the whole shebang..

Any ideas peeps?

(If you use Unity, say, and not G3 this message will not make much sense!)

Thanks in advance. ;))

Steve Roberts,

Cwmbran,

South Wales.