[ubuntu-uk] Unwanted kernels .....

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 15:16:55 UTC 2014

On 15 August 2014 14:45, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
> On 15 August 2014 14:09, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 15 August 2014 13:55, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On 15 August 2014 13:46, Alan Lord <alanslists at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> ..

>>> That only removed one kernel for me (I have lots more).
>>>

>> And the reason seems to be that dpkg -l linux* shows loads of packages
>> that are not actually installed.  What is that all about?
>>

> dpkg -l linux-image* | grep ^ii
>
> That'll show only those installed (line starts with ii)

Right, gotit, thanks.  I deduce from what I see that 14.04
automatically uninstalls (or at least makes available for
autoremoving) all except the current and previous kernel, and all that
is left is the conf files for previous versions.  Thus (if I am
correct) there should no longer be any need to worry about old
kernels, which is great.

Colin