[ubuntu-uk] Unwanted kernels .....

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 10:31:31 UTC 2014

On 15 August 2014 11:12, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
> On 15 August 2014 11:07, Barry Drake <ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com> wrote:

>>> Does this command offer to remove some?
>>> sudo apt-get autoremove
>>
>>  No.  All it offers to do is to remove one package no longer required.
>> Nothing to do with the kernel is shown.  Ah well ... When I've got time on
>> my hands I'll go through them.  Thanks anyway.
>>

> Doesn't take long:-
>
> Open a terminal and make it full screen.
> uname -a
>
> Note which kernel you're currently on.
>
> dpkg -l linux-image*
>
> To list what kernels you have installed
>
> sudo apt-get autoremove  ....
>
> Then in the autoremove line where the dots are (don't type the dots)
> just copy/paste (double click a linux-image package name, then middle
> click to paste), press space, copy/paste, press space.

That doesn't seem to work for me.  One of the lines from dpkg is
rc  linux-image-3.2.0-2 3.2.0-27.43    i386           Linux kernel
image for version 3.2.0 on 32
but:
$ sudo apt-get autoremove linux-image-3.2.0-2
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'linux-image-3.2.0-27-generic-pae' for regex
'linux-image-3.2.0-2'
Package 'linux-image-3.2.0-27-generic-pae' is not installed, so not removed
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.

Colin