[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu 12.04.5 on server

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Fri Aug 8 17:55:03 UTC 2014

** Daniel Llewellyn <diddledan at gmail.com> [2014-08-08 17:30]:
> On 8 August 2014 17:06, Paul Tansom <paul at aptanet.com> wrote:
> > I've just seen teh LTS update release notice [1] and noted the kernel
> > updates
> > for new installations. From looking at details on the LTS Enablement
> > Stacks [2]
> > I see that you can upgrade existing installs to the new kernel if you want
> > using the linux-generic-lts-[quantal|raring|saucy] packages (and
> > presumably by
> > implication earlier in the page trusty as well, although that isn't
> > specifically mentioned; there is a package though).
> >
> > Looking at the packages available it looks as though this is aimed at
> > desktop
> > installs as there doesn't appear to be any matching packages for the server
> > kernels. Am I reading this wrong?
> >
> > [1]
> > https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2014-August/000189.html
> > [2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack
>
> As far as I'm aware you shouldn't be running on the linux-image-server
> kernels anymore because the -image-generic is supposed to do everything
> these days. (I'm fine to be corrected on this.)
** end quote [Daniel Llewellyn]

Well the linux-image-server kernels were the ones installed by default from the
installation media, and I tend not to mess with the kernels much these days.
Although I did install some Debian kernel images on my VPS because of stability
issues with the default 8.04 kernels when virtualised.

--
 Paul Tansom  |  Aptanet Ltd.  |  http://www.aptanet.com/  |  023 9238 0001