[ubuntu-uk] First impressions on Trusty

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Apr 24 22:07:40 UTC 2014

Hi Alan,

On 24 April 2014 09:49, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:

> Hi Tony,
>
> On 23 April 2014 23:43, Tony Pursell <ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> > Can someone tell me what package I should be reporting my screen
> brightness
> > control problem against.  I reported it against linux with the result
> that I
> > am being asked to test it against the latest upstream kernel.  Something
> > would rather not get involved in, if it's not necessary, as its a bit
> beyond
> > my technical capabilities. For details of the bug, see
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1311297
> >

> You filed the bug in the right place, and you're being asked for
> legitimate debug data as a result. Moving the bug somewhere else won't
> get it fixed :)
>
> So, what you need to do in simple terms is:-
>
> 1. Identify and download a kernel build
> 2. Install the kernel
> 3. Reboot into the new kernel
> 4. Test while running the new kernel
> 5. Clean up.
>
> For 1:-
>
> mkdir ~/kernel_test
> cd ~/kernel_test
> wget
> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.15-rc2-trusty/linux-headers-3.15.0-031500rc2-generic_3.15.0-031500rc2.201404201435_i386.deb
> wget
> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.15-rc2-trusty/linux-headers-3.15.0-031500rc2_3.15.0-031500rc2.201404201435_all.deb
> wget
> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.15-rc2-trusty/linux-image-3.15.0-031500rc2-generic_3.15.0-031500rc2.201404201435_i386.deb
>
> For 2:-
>
> cd ~/kernel_test
> sudo dpkg -i *.deb
>
> For 3:-
>
> Close all your applications and reboot.
> Hold down the shift key as soon as the computer powers up, to get the grub
> menu.
> When you see the grub menu, use the arrow keys to highlight the
> 3.15-rc2 kernel and then press [enter[ to boot from it.
>
> For 4:-
>
> Test using the brightness keys
> Report back on the bug if it's working or not.
>
> For 5:-
>
> Reboot back to your old kernel using the same method as step 3:- but
> boot to the old one, not the new one
> sudo apt-get remove linux-headers-3.15.0-031500rc2-generic
> linux-headers-3.15.0-031500rc2 linux-image-3.15.0-031500rc2-generic
> rm -rf ~/kernel_test
>
> Done.
>
> Hope that's helpful
>
> Cheers,
> Al.
>
> --

Thanks a lot for these instructions.  I'm sure that if the kernel team
could be as helpful they would get more people like me, who just need a
little bit more hand holding, helping them with their bugs.  I'm a total
user of Ubuntu (at home) now and would love to see it replace Microsoft but
a regression bug, like this one, in a LTS release really shouldn't happen.
It is fixed in the mainline 3.15.0 kernel but I cannot continue to use it
as doesn't build with my wireless driver.  I hope it will get into Trusty
some time.

Thanks again

Tony