[ubuntu-uk] Publishing to the software centre

Gareth France gareth.france at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 09:47:12 UTC 2014

On 23/04/14 20:24, Matthew Wild wrote:
> On 23 April 2014 16:56, Gareth France <gareth.france at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 23/04/14 08:26, Alan Pope wrote:
>>
>> Hi Gareth,
>>
>> On 23 April 2014 08:14, Gareth France <gareth.france at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have a perl script I wish to publish but doing so seems rather akin to
>> pulling teeth! I'm trying to package it as an executable but this doesn't
>> seem to work. Can anyone advise me what format it needs to be in to submit
>> it, and how I may achieve this.
>>
>> What's the goal? Make the perl script widely available for people (you
>> don't know) to discover and install on their systems easily? Or is
>> this a script something only a few techy people may be interested in?
>>
>> If the latter, then maybe just put the script on a pastebin, github,
>> launchpad or other host and point people to it with simple
>> instructions for downloading and running it.
>>
>> If the former then you will need to do a little work to learn how to
>> package it. The documentation is uh.. comprehensive, but there's some
>> simpler guides like this one:-
>>
>> http://www.electricmonk.nl/log/2011/09/06/creating-simple-debian-packages/
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Al.
>>
>> I have followed the instructions in the guide you gave me, however the
>> guidelines for being accepted into the software centre say ' You need to
>> provide us with the Debian source package – A Debian source package (.dsc,
>> diff.gz, orig.tar.gzfiles), bundled in an archive file (.tar.gz, .zip,
>> etc).'
>>
>> Does this mean just zip up the directories I used to create the deb file?
> You can build a source package with 'debuild -S -sa' inside the
> package directory. When built, the source package actually consists of
> multiple files: the .dsc, .diff.gz or .debian.tar.gz and the
> .orig.tar.gz. The instructions are asking you to put those files
> together into an archive (tar or zip), just to make it easier to
> handle.
>
> If in doubt, you can look at the .dsc file (it's just text) to see the
> file listing for the source package.
>
> Regards,
> Matthew

.Can nobody help me with this debuild command? It just seems to throw up
endless error messages.

This package has a Debian revision number but there does not seem to be
an appropriate original tar file or .orig directory in the parent directory;
(expected one of cliftontestsuite_0.1.orig.tar.gz,
cliftontestsuite_0.1.orig.tar.bz2,
cliftontestsuite_0.1.orig.tar.lzma, cliftontestsuite_0.1.orig.tar.xz or
Clifton Test Suite v0.1.orig)
continue anyway? (y/n) y
  dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -d -us -uc -S -sa
dpkg-buildpackage: source package cliftontestsuite
dpkg-buildpackage: source version 0.1-1
dpkg-buildpackage: source distribution UNRELEASED
dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by Gareth <gareth.france at cliftonts.co.uk>
  dpkg-source --before-build Clifton Test Suite v0.1
dpkg-source: error: syntax error in Clifton Test Suite
v0.1/debian/control at line 9: first block lacks a source field
dpkg-buildpackage: error: dpkg-source --before-build Clifton Test Suite
v0.1 gave error exit status 255
debuild: fatal error at line 1364:
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -d -us -uc -S -sa failed