[ubuntu-uk] First impressions on Trusty

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Thu Apr 24 08:49:29 UTC 2014

Hi Tony,

On 23 April 2014 23:43, Tony Pursell <ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> Can someone tell me what package I should be reporting my screen brightness
> control problem against.  I reported it against linux with the result that I
> am being asked to test it against the latest upstream kernel.  Something I
> would rather not get involved in, if it's not necessary, as its a bit beyond
> my technical capabilities. For details of the bug, see
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1311297

You filed the bug in the right place, and you're being asked for
legitimate debug data as a result. Moving the bug somewhere else won't
get it fixed :)

So, what you need to do in simple terms is:-

1. Identify and download a kernel build
2. Install the kernel
3. Reboot into the new kernel
4. Test while running the new kernel
5. Clean up.

For 1:-

mkdir ~/kernel_test
cd ~/kernel_test
wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.15-rc2-trusty/linux-headers-3.15.0-031500rc2-generic_3.15.0-031500rc2.201404201435_i386.deb
wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.15-rc2-trusty/linux-headers-3.15.0-031500rc2_3.15.0-031500rc2.201404201435_all.deb
wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.15-rc2-trusty/linux-image-3.15.0-031500rc2-generic_3.15.0-031500rc2.201404201435_i386.deb

For 2:-

cd ~/kernel_test
sudo dpkg -i *.deb

For 3:-

Close all your applications and reboot.
Hold down the shift key as soon as the computer powers up, to get the grub menu.
When you see the grub menu, use the arrow keys to highlight the
3.15-rc2 kernel and then press [enter[ to boot from it.

For 4:-

Test using the brightness keys
Report back on the bug if it's working or not.

For 5:-

Reboot back to your old kernel using the same method as step 3:- but
boot to the old one, not the new one
sudo apt-get remove linux-headers-3.15.0-031500rc2-generic
linux-headers-3.15.0-031500rc2 linux-image-3.15.0-031500rc2-generic
rm -rf ~/kernel_test

Done.

Hope that's helpful

Cheers,