[ubuntu-uk] Publishing to the software centre

Gareth France gareth.france at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 14:46:32 UTC 2014

On 23/04/14 15:42, Colin Law wrote:
> On 23 April 2014 15:39, Gareth France <gareth.france at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 23/04/14 15:37, Alan James Jenkins wrote:
>>> Also try:
>>>
>>> which seaward
>>>
>>> If that shows /usr/bin/seaward your terminal is finding the command in
>>> your path. Reason for the `file /usr/bin/seaward` was to determine whether
>>> or not it was a valid symbolic link but tbh the ls -la /usr/bin/seaward
>>> showed that it was a symlink to /usr/bin/CTS/seaward already so dunno why I
>>> asked you to do that.
>>>
>>> If you call the script with its absolute path e.g:
>>>
>>> /usr/bin/seaward
>>>
>>> Does it work?

>> I've got it now thanks guys. It was an ownership issue. It's now packaged in
>> a deb file and installing correctly.
> Just so we can all learn from the problem, can you tell us why it would not run?
>
> (I realised what the CTS was after I posted that question).
>
> Colin

I copied the file manually into usr/bin so it was still owned by me. I
realised the problem when I saw the guide provided by one of the Alans
earlier said:

fakeroot dpkg-deb --build myscript

fakerootis a special tool that runs another program (in this
casedpkg-deb) and fakes all filesystem ownerships as being'root:root'.
This is needed because the files in this Debian package need to be owned
by root. Thedpkg-deb --buildcommand takes care of creating the package.