[ubuntu-uk] Publishing to the software centre

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 08:31:59 UTC 2014

On 23 April 2014 08:58, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
> On 23 April 2014 08:56, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 23 April 2014 08:41, Gareth France <gareth.france at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Take get-iplayer for instance. I install that on my system and (to my
>>> knowledge) I am not able to browse through the source. It is buried away in
>>> the system and just works. That is what I am wanting. You install it , you
>>> use it, no faffing about.
>>
>> $ which get-iplayer
>> /usr/bin/get-iplayer
>> $ cat /usr/bin/get-iplayer
>>

> I think you missed the point Colin. He's basically saying he wants
> something easy to install, no pastebins, no faffing about. Not that
> you *can't* get to the source code, but that viewing the sourcecode
> shouldn't be a pre-req to install. He wants something easy to install.

Thanks Alan.  I was pointing out a misunderstanding on his part that
might have been important to him.  In an earlier post he said "I don't
want the code to be accessable by anybody." whereas if he publishes
the script the way he is suggesting then it *will* be accessable by
everybody, and he said that to his knowledge he was not able to browse
the get-iplayer source, whereas he is able to browse it.  It turns out
that he is not worried about others seeing the source, but it seemed
possible from his previous posts that in he wanted to keep it hidden.

Cheers

Colin