[ubuntu-uk] Publishing to the software centre

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Wed Apr 23 07:26:48 UTC 2014

Hi Gareth,

On 23 April 2014 08:14, Gareth France <gareth.france at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a perl script I wish to publish but doing so seems rather akin to
> pulling teeth! I'm trying to package it as an executable but this doesn't
> seem to work. Can anyone advise me what format it needs to be in to submit
> it, and how I may achieve this.

What's the goal? Make the perl script widely available for people (you
don't know) to discover and install on their systems easily? Or is
this a script something only a few techy people may be interested in?

If the latter, then maybe just put the script on a pastebin, github,
launchpad or other host and point people to it with simple
instructions for downloading and running it.

If the former then you will need to do a little work to learn how to
package it. The documentation is uh.. comprehensive, but there's some
simpler guides like this one:-

http://www.electricmonk.nl/log/2011/09/06/creating-simple-debian-packages/

Cheers,
Al.