[ubuntu-uk] Samsung might be getting rid of Android and using their own Linux based OS

Simon Greenwood sfgreenwood at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 12:56:29 UTC 2013

On 13 September 2013 13:39, Neil Greenwood <neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com>wrote:

> Umm, me.
>
> I haven't bought a handset on contract for more than 5 years now. I have a
> SIM-only contract with 3, and got my last few handsets from amazon or eBay.
>
> There are about a dozen others in my office who do the same. But then we
> are gadget geeks!

Same here, although my last two contract phones were provided unlocked as I
took the contract through buymobilephones.net. I've now got a Nexus 4 and a
nice loyalty contract from T-Mobile that I will convert to a SIM only deal
next time it comes around, which will certainly work out cheaper than an
18-month contract with phone. Downside with the Nexus is that it's a sealed
unit so if the battery starts to go it may shorten its life but there are a
lot of interesting phone projects coming along, not least the Edge or
whatever gets made, that will make combined contracts less essential.

s/
--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood
"TBA are particularly glib"