[ubuntu-uk] OT - secure email?

Jon Spriggs jon at sprig.gs
Tue Sep 3 14:38:29 UTC 2013

On 3 September 2013 14:51, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
> Doesn't everyone with 0.5 of a clue know this?

Frankly, No. As soon as (if not before) the "NSA whistleblower is in
Hong Kong" headlines dropped off the BBC front page, outside of those
of us who actually care about this stuff stopped being interested, and
went back to "sharing cat photos with my family". My wife doesn't
care, and frankly is bored witless of me waffling on about it.

<SNIP>

> Scott McNeally said it in about 1996:
>
> "You *have* no privacy on the Internet. Get over it."

It doesn't have to be like this. In code we can solve this, the
problem is getting a usable interface, a compelling reason and a good
marketing team to solve the last 5%. Mailpile might be able to do it,
bitmessage could also, but all the time it's just the Tin Foil Hat
Wearers Brigade (mine just covers the tips of my ears) and the
Free-as-in-Freedom crowd banging on about it, the rest of the world
won't give a flying .... Ooo, You're a kitty! (http://xkcd.com/231/)

--
Jon "The Nice Guy" Spriggs