[ubuntu-uk] Dummy transitional package

Daniel Llewellyn diddledan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 18:04:33 UTC 2013

a "dummy transitional package" is a stub that gets created when a piece of
software changes name or politics cause the packaging to change namespace.
The software gets placed into the new package name and new installs will
get that by default. However, upgrades need a way of not breaking when the
package name it has references to suddenly disappears while it's working.

So the stub is created at the old name which depends upon the new name
thereby pulling the new package into your system. The stub also serves as a
way for other packages that used to depend on the old name but haven't been
updated to the new name to still be installable.

On 22 November 2013 17:58, Simon Greenwood <sfgreenwood at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22 November 2013 16:26, Pete Smout <smoutpete at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> I was looking to uninstall deja dup as it keeps hogging 85-90% of my cpu,
>> whilst in synaptic I found the package "ttf-dejavu-core" which tells me
>> that it is a "dummy transitional package. It can safely be removed" , but
>> when I try and remove it it says another 7 packages depend on it, including
>> clementine & xbmc (which I use regularly!)
>>
>> Why does it say it can safely be removed when it obviously can't ?
>>
>> Note this is not a tech problem, just me trying to learn!
>>

> I think that's a font package and one of the core ones in use by Ubuntu or
> it was and it's been removed, and the dummy package is keeping the other
> packages it depends on happy. In 12.10 at least the package you're looking
> for is deja-dup 24.0-0ubuntu2.
>
> s/
>

> --
> Twitter: @sfgreenwood