[ubuntu-uk] dpkg error on libgmp10

David King linuxman at avoura.com
Fri Nov 8 15:18:34 UTC 2013

I am having a problem with updating any software on my Ubuntu Studio 12.04

There are various updates listed, but when trying to install them I get
an error:

installArchives() failed: (Reading database ... dpkg: unrecoverable
fatal error, aborting:
  unable to open files list file for package `libgmp10': Input/output
error /var/cache/apt/archives/libgmp10_2%3a5.0.2+dfsg-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb
Error in function:
SystemError: E:Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

/var/lib/dpkg/status contains the following entry:

Package: libgmp10
  GNU MP is a programmer's library for arbitrary precision
  arithmetic (ie, a bignum package).  It can operate on signed
  integer, rational, and floating point numeric types.
  .
  It has a rich set of functions, and the functions have a regular
  interface.
<debian-science-maintainers at lists.alioth.debian.org>
Homepage: http://gmplib.org/

I removed this from the status file and ran

sudo apt-get -f install

I am still getting errors, and libgmp10 is installed, and is the latest
version, but Synaptic cannot list its installed files, and dpkg is
getting an error reading its files

I have tried just reinstalling libgmp10 but it fails, I have tried
updating the list of updates, I have tried updates via Update Manager,
Synaptic and apt-get on the CLI.

Whatever I try to do I get an error with dpkg, and it is something to do
with libgmp10. I am loathe to remove it as so much else depends on this
vital software.

If I try
sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgmp10

The following output is shown:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
required:
   gir1.2-ubuntuoneui-3.0 calligra-l10n-engb libhsqldb-java gjs
kde-l10n-engb
   gir1.2-gdesktopenums-3.0 libubuntuoneui-3.0-1 libcmis-0.2-0
   gir1.2-gjsdbus-1.0 libgjs0c
   libgmp10
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 33 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 238 kB of archives.
After this operation, 498 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/main libgmp10 amd64
2:5.0.2+dfsg-2ubuntu1 [238 kB]
Fetched 238 kB in 1s (160 kB/s)
(Reading database ...
dpkg: warning: files list file for package `libgmp10' missing, assuming
package has no files currently installed.
(Reading database ... 751863 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libgmp10 2:5.0.2+dfsg-2ubuntu1 (using
.../libgmp10_2%3a5.0.2+dfsg-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libgmp10 ...
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/libgmp10_2%3a5.0.2+dfsg-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb
(--unpack):
  failed to install updated files list file for package libgmp10:
Input/output error
  /var/cache/apt/archives/libgmp10_2%3a5.0.2+dfsg-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb

When trying to remove unneeded packages with apt-get autoremove
I still get the same errors

What can I do to fix this?

David K