[ubuntu-uk] 1000 commands

Bruno Girin brunogirin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 17:18:37 UTC 2013

On 7 November 2013 16:50, Stuart Ward <stuart.ward at bcs.org> wrote:

> On 7 November 2013 10:40, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
>
>> awk '{print $1}' ~/.bash_history | sort | uniq -c
>> | sort -rn | head
>>

> ~$ awk '{print $1}' ~/.bash_history | sort | uniq -c | sort -rn | head
>      75 git
>      74 cd
>      57 sudo
>      39 tail
>      37 ls
>      33 dig
>      20 man
>      13 python
>      13 curl
>      12 cat
>
> Looks like I have been using git a bit recently...?

Same here with ls and cd in front:

$ awk '{print $1}' ~/.bash_history | sort | uniq -c | sort -rn | head
    407 ls
    283 cd
    217 git
    171 vi
    114 make
     53 dot
     52 sudo
     47 rm
     44 erl
     41 grep

The only reason why python is not up there is because I tend to do chmod +x
on my python scripts. I also had a dot and Erlang frenzy recently (not
together though).

What is also interesting is how it changes when you include the first
parameter. The positions of "git status" and simple "ls" showing that I
regularly need reminding what the hell I've just modified and what was in
there in the first place:

$ awk '{print $1 " " $2}' ~/.bash_history | sort | uniq -c | sort -rn | head
    242 ls
     72 git status
     53 make
     53 dot -Tsvg