[ubuntu-uk] Printing a photo album without SAAS

Bruno Girin brunogirin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 11:30:12 UTC 2013

On 7 November 2013 10:22, Simon Greenwood <sfgreenwood at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7 November 2013 07:39, Andres <a75576 at alumni.tecnun.es> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I was thinking of doing a photo album and then having it printed at my
>> local reprographics shop. All of it avoiding SAAS and using free libre open
>> source software (floss).
>>
>> How would you go about it?
>> Use something like digikam in combination with scribus?
>>

> Scribus on its own will produce print ready output. I've made photo
> calendars and labels with it, and most small print shops will accept PDFs.
> I use Shotwell for photo management and GIMP for editing but might have a
> look at Digikam in future.

I've done it the python way for our business cards: I have a python script
that picks up employee details from a JSON file, uses those details to
populate an SVG template using jinja2 and then calls rsvg-convert to
transform them into PDF. The script is 40 lines of code and produces print
ready output.

The benefit of the script route is that you can customise the source and
content so for example, you can make the script pick up all the photos that
are within a date range and automatically generate your photo album based
on that which means you could do a "my year in pictures" album every
Christmas. Or you can generate album and labels using the same source of
data by just using a different template.

Of course, if it's for a one-off, Scribus is the right tool for this. On
the other had, why spend 5 minutes doing something when you can spend 5
hours automating it? ;-)

Cheers,

Bruno