[ubuntu-uk] Home folder keeps disappearing

Daniel Llewellyn diddledan at gmail.com
Fri May 31 23:52:13 UTC 2013

On 1 June 2013 00:33, J Fernyhough <j.fernyhough at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 31 May 2013 22:12, David King <linuxman at avoura.com> wrote:
> > /home is mounted on /sda7
> > it has 12.37 GiB free, and it's 71.29 GiB in size (according to gparted)
> >

> What's the content of /etc/fstab ? Your /home should be in there (but
> it's not showing with 'mount'... interesting...).

it might be, though he did state that he edited the output before posting.
I've long since been trained not to do this because the people trying to
help cannot know what was deleted and therefore whether it was important or
not. In this case we have no way of determining whether the /home mount was
mistakenly deleted or whehter it truly is not mounted.

experts about people who read the now-defunct qmailrocks.org guide and
believed they understood how qmail worked only to be bitten on the bottom
and seeking help from the experts with piecemeal and doctored information.
Note: I still don't understand qmail well enough to help others.)

I learned this lesson the hard way, and I try to teach others the same
lesson when I see it done by them.

re-reading the above sounds harsh, it's not meant to, but it is a valid
point that a lot of people forget or don't realise or ignore.

--
Daniel Llewellyn