[ubuntu-uk] Home folder keeps disappearing

David King linuxman at avoura.com
Fri May 31 16:18:27 UTC 2013

Sometimes my home folder is missing. When I boot up and get to the login
screen, I enter my password to login and it does not load the desktop,
but goes straight back to the login screen. And just now my home folder
literally just disappeared. I can see other user folders in  /home but
not for my current user, although I am still logged in.

I am using Ubuntu Studio 12.04 XFCE and it is up to date, the last
updates were applied this morning, although the problem has persisted
for a while now. Although today is the first time I have lost my home
partition while logged in.

This is a real nuisance. I can see home folders in the same partition
for other users (from other distros I have installed on the same PC) but
not my own.

Any ideas why it keeps getting hidden and how to prevent it getting hidden?

David K