[ubuntu-uk] Deja-dup & [lucky] backup

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Thu May 30 15:58:38 UTC 2013

On 30/05/13 16:01, SuperEngineer wrote:
> Last week a partition resize failed & completely borked my Ubuntu
> partition.
>
> I had various backups in various places, none recent enough to bring me
> back to a position of strength.  Then I remembered Deja-dup had run
> automatically only 2 days previously.  Combined with my documents [admin
> stuff updated daily] being on Ubuntu1.

I have two complaints about deja-dup. One is it only runs when I log in.
I tend to keep my desk top machine on all the time so I'd really prefer
backups to run in the middle of the night when I'm asleep.

The second, is it's geared to run as a user. I tried running it as root
but without much success (probably because I never log in as root!). If
anyone has a sure fire formula for doing this I'd happily look at this
again.

Thirdly, it create thousands of relatively small files! Not a big
problem but it would be nice to configure the size of these files. I've
always felt that directories with a large number of files is not a good
thing.

And fourthly, there does not seem to be any control of when it does a
full backup and when it just does an incremental.

On a positive note, it does integrate nicely with Nautilus for recovery
of individual files.

Did I say two complaints? I meant four!

I use sbackup to a permanently connected 3TB USB 3 disk scheduled to run
daily using anacron. Works a treat. The proof will be if I ever need to
do a full restore!

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold,                        Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 6093
Head of IT Security,                Fax: +44 (0) 705 344 3082
Manchester M13 9PL.                 Email: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk