[ubuntu-uk] Packages for Java and Postgresql

surfer pmulvey at gofast.co.uk
Thu May 16 09:05:35 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-05-16 at 09:08 +0100, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Rowan Berkeley wrote:
>
> > it remains a fact that if
> > Synaptic was available in any of the categories of the Software
> > Center, including 'Technical Items' if such a thing exists, then a
> > general search from the search box would find it, and it doesn't.
>
> It does here:
>
> http://avi.co/s/synapticinsoftwarecentre.png
>
> It's in the Universe repository, whose default state I can't remember
> but it's not 'main' so it's feasible that it's not enabled by default.
> Is that the source of the supposed need to use the terminal to install
> it? What's this terminal process? I'm intrigued as to what would cause
> a package to be available to (presumably) apt*, but not to the
> software centre.
>
> --
> Avi

Dear Avi

You are quite right. I believe that the upshot of this rather lengthy
thread is that I should have gone to Specsavers.

However, one great advantage of using the commands in the terminal is
that everyone does or should know exactly what they do, whereas if one
gets into a stew with Synaptic and the Software Centre, one is very
dependent on the good offices of people of a charitable disposition such
as yourself.

Many thanks for your response

Patrick Mulvey