[ubuntu-uk] Packages for Java and Postgresql

Rowan Berkeley rowan.berkeley at gmail.com
Wed May 15 18:15:40 UTC 2013

On 15/05/13 19:06, surfer wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-05-15 at 18:45 +0100, Rowan Berkeley wrote:

>>> Thank you Rowan. I have managed to download Synaptic through apt-get,
>>> but for some reason I cannot seem to use the Apply button as it has been
>>> greyed out. Consequently, I am relying on apt-get to download all of the
>>> packages I need.
>>>
>>> Perhaps I should have downloaded a text only version  of Debian.
>>>
>>> However, many thanks
>>>
>>> Patrick Mulvey
>>>

>> Once you have installed it via the terminal, then it will become
>> available in the Software Center when you enter the first few letters of
>> its name in the search box. I don't know what Liam is talking about
>> vis-a-vis a Technical Applications option in the Software Center: I
>> don't see that option. have noticed other people (on Launchpad, I think)
>> complaining that since 12.10, Synaptic simply wasn't as easily available
>> as it had previously been, and could not be found by using the search
>> bar in the Software Center, which would seem to indicate it isn't there
>> in any of the Software Center categories, until you get it via the Terminal.
>>
>> Anyway, Patrick, the reason you are seeing a greyed out Apply button is
>> that you have opened it without authenticating yourself, which it ought
>> to ask you to do. Therefore you are seeing it in a view only mode. What
>> I always do is, having found it, drag and drop the launcher icon into my
>> launchers and lock it there. After that, it will ask for authentication
>> each time I open it and having received authentication, it will give me
>> full access including Apply to add or remove whatever I wish. You need
>> to get it to ask for your authentication before it opens. I don't know
>> why it hasn't warned you that without authentication, you will have a
>> view only mode. It did that to me once. But it is just a matter of how
>> exactly you attempt to launch it.
>>
> Thank you for responding Rowan.
>
> On opening it whether by clicking on the icon or running it as a
> command, I am prompted to authenticate myself, which I do without
> difficulty, but the button is still greyed out.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Patrick Mulvey

That suggests to me that you aren't logged in as the owner but as a
guest, and so your rights are restricted even when you authenticate. It
sounds elementary, but I can't think of any other explanation. Have a
look at the drop-down that appears when you click on the shutdown/change
user icon in the extreme top right corner, at the end of the menu bar.
This sounds too obvious to be worth saying, but I can't think of
anything else.