[ubuntu-uk] Packages for Java and Postgresql

surfer pmulvey at gofast.co.uk
Wed May 15 16:33:55 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-05-15 at 17:20 +0100, Rowan Berkeley wrote:
> On 15/05/13 17:09, Colin Law wrote:
> > On 15 May 2013 16:51, surfer <pmulvey at gofast.co.uk> wrote:
> >> I have just updated my system to 12.10.
> >>
> >> I have been looking for both recent versions of Java and Postgresql, but
> >> cannot find a key or lock that I can use to download them. Before I used
> >> Synaptec, which seems no longer to exist.
> >>
> >> I wonder if somebody could assist me
> > You can use the Software Center for installing applications, or if you
> > want to use synaptic then install that either using the Software
> > Center or, in a terminal,
> > sudo apt-get install synaptic
> >
> > Colin
> >
> > Actually, you can't get Synaptic via the Software Center. I'm sure
> > Patrick tried that before posting. Indeed, we all tried it, and the
> > absence of Synaptic from the Software Center has occasioned a lot of
> > unfavourable comment. But of course you can get it with the terminal.

Thank you Rowan. I have managed to download Synaptic through apt-get,
but for some reason I cannot seem to use the Apply button as it has been
greyed out. Consequently, I am relying on apt-get to download all of the
packages I need.

Perhaps I should have downloaded a text only version  of Debian.

However, many thanks

Patrick Mulvey