[ubuntu-uk] missing hard drive

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Thu May 2 12:05:02 UTC 2013

norman silverstone wrote:
> I have just finished a completely fresh install, on my PC, of
> Xubuntu 13.04 64 bit and, for the first time,  Windows 7 64 bit.
> There were no problems with the dual installation. However, although
> my PC has two hard drives, only  one appears in either operating
> system. Please, how do I get my missing HDD back in Xubuntu?

Are each missing the same HDD, or different ones? If you cannot
distinguish them by size or similar, you can use smartctl to get the
serial number;

    smartctl -a /dev/sda | head

will print some data about /dev/sda, including its serial number. I
presume you can get the same out of Windows using the Disk Manager
tool Liam mentioned, or perhaps by right-clicking on a drive and
choosing 'Properties'.

--
Avi