[ubuntu-uk] missing hard drive

norman silverstone norman at littletank.org
Thu May 2 09:34:56 UTC 2013

On 02/05/13 09:19, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 2 May 2013 07:31, norman silverstone <norman at littletank.org> wrote:
>> I have just finished a completely fresh install, on my PC, of Xubuntu 13.04
>> 64 bit and, for the first time,  Windows 7 64 bit. There were no problems
>> with the dual installation. However, although my PC has two hard drives,
>> only  one appears in either operating system. Please, how do I get my
>> missing HDD back in Xubuntu?
> Windows can't read Linux filesystems. If you have one whole drive
> partitioned for each, then it is normal for the Linux one to be
> invisible to Windows, except in Disk Manager:
>
> (Start | Run | diskmgmt.msc)
>
> In Linux, you should be able to see and indeed mount the Windows
> drive. What does Gparted show?
>
> Terminal -> sudo apt-get install gparted -y ; sudo gparted

I am beginning to wonder if something has gone very wrong. I ran sudo
parted -l and two drives were shown, /dev/sda 500GB and /dev/sdb 250GB.
In the past, when I have installed Ubuntu I was offered the choice to
set up partitions but this time I was not. Could this mean that Xbuntu
is now installed on the 250GB drive which is not showing on the desktop.
If that is the case then a lot of data which was stored could have been
lost as the smaller drive was used just for that.

Norman