[ubuntu-uk] Dynamic DNS service

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Thu Mar 21 21:09:48 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-20, Alan Pope wrote:

> On 19/03/13 20:20, Adam Funk wrote:
>> What do you mean "evil"?  (I changed from dyndns to no-ip recently
>> because dyndns annoyed me, but I'm curious as to what others think.)
>>

> http://www.dyncommunity.com/questions/21580/from-dyn-what-happened-to-free-accounts.html

Oh, I can see why that annoys people, but I'd hardly call it evil.
Here's my gripe about DynDNS (copied & pasted from a post I made to
the non-British ubuntu-users list a few months ago):

   I'm not happy about the fact that DynDNS Pro uses the same username
   & password for account management and the DNS service itself
   (ddclient), because a stolen HDD would allow a thief to get into
   the account.

   I asked DynDNS support about this and they said I could pay
   $30/month for DynECT (enterprise system) instead of $20/year in
   order to get this level of security!  I'm not happy about this
   security problem that they are deliberately exposing some of their
   customers to in order to bump them up to much more expensive
   services.

I think that is at least somewhat evil, & I switched to no-ip.com
because they provide a way to have separate passwords for the no-ip
client & account management.