[ubuntu-uk] Dynamic DNS service

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Tue Mar 19 19:35:03 UTC 2013

On 19/03/13 14:31, Iain Cuthbertson wrote:
> On 19/03/13 14:24, Mark Fraser wrote:
>> I've been using dyndns on my home server with ddclient successfully for a few
>> years now and I've recently given my dad a laptop with Ubuntu installed on it
>> that I would like to access remotely.
>>
>> Looking at dyndns's website it looks like the free option that I'm on is no
>> longer available, what is the current recommendation on a service that will
>> work with ddclient or some other software?
>>
> Using joker.com for my domain registration, ddyns is available for free
> (50 entries per domain I think).
> Don't know of any completely free options sorry.
>
> Iain

I'd suggest having a look at no-ip.com.  The free service won't give you
a choice of domain but I gather you can have up to 3 subdomains.  I
didn't realise the free option for DynDNS had gone.  I noticed that over
the years they've taken more and more away.  I'm looking at my options
at the moment, I'd like to host an e-mail server at home using a DynDNS
service with a domain (at the moment my domain goes to my web provider
and pick mail up using fetchmail) and I don't know if I'm worth paying
the $15 or whatever it is to DynDNS or no-ip.com

Rob