[ubuntu-uk] 13.04 behaves differently...

Paula Graham pmgazz at gmx.co.uk
Fri Mar 1 16:23:46 UTC 2013

On 01/03/13 02:24, Will Tinsdeall wrote:
I use Evolution. I find it the most complete solution for all of my
organisational needs. I don't know why they decided to move away from it
in the default distro....

Will

I dunno, I yoyo between Evolution and TBird - Evolution is much better
as office software but sucks as a mail client whilst TBird is a pretty
good mail client which sucks as office software. The worst aspect of
Evolution's suckiness as a mail client is the annoyingly laggy IMAP
(yes, I have tried it again since they allegedly improved this). The
other thing it doesn't do is show tasks in the calendar - that totally
sucks cos it means I keep booking meetings over task deadlines.

I'm sure someone's about to suggest to me that I use both - and God
knows I've tried.  But that tends to screw up my sync cos one uses
funambol and the other uses syncevolution - I keep getting corrupted
addressbooks etc. And since Evolution's IMAP implementation is so grim
it makes it hard to keep even mails in sync.

I don't think anyone's really developing Evolution these days - and
Mozilla isn't going to add features to TBird so looks like both will be
vaguely unsatisfactory in one way or another in perpetuity ;)

Nuffin's ever perfect :D

Paula