[ubuntu-uk] SSH/Filezilla Problem

Gibbs linux at danielgibbs.net
Mon Jun 17 11:09:27 UTC 2013

On 17/06/13 11:11, Matthew Ames wrote:
> Could you try using nautilus to ssh between the netbook and desktop?
> Do so, open up the nautilus file browser and press ctrl+L. In the
> address bar that pops up type ssh://servername. Now try to drag and
> drop files like youwould locally. If you see the same problem, it's an
> issue with ssh, if you don't see the same issue, it's a problem with
> FileZilla.
I have always found Nautilus (or GVFS) to be dog slow, regardless of
internet speed.

On 17/06/13 11:08, Nigel Verity wrote:

> I use Filezilla a lot to transfer data between a desktop and a
> netbook, via a wireless router. Sometimes these files are big (> 300 MB).
>
> With small files there are no problems regardless of which direction
> the transfer goes, or whether I am "pushing" or "pulling". With large
> files, however, the transfer often stalls and the connection times out
> if I am "pushing" the data from the desktop to the netbook. The same
> file "pulled" from the netbook end always transfers trouble-free.

Filezilla isn't exactly the best of software but I can't think of any
good alternative GUI based apps. I would use SCP or rsync. rsync might
not be a good solution for the netbook.

E.g.

scp -P 22 ~/dir/files/* user at remote:/dir/wherever

Gibbs