[ubuntu-uk] Public library OS choice

Muñiz Piniella, Andrés a75576 at alumni.tecnun.es
Tue Jun 11 22:17:08 UTC 2013

El 11/06/2013 23:39, "alan c" <aeclist at candt.waitrose.com> escribió:

> On 11/06/13 09:20, Simon Greenwood wrote:
>>
>> it isn't going to change.
>

> It will change if people act to encourage and promote change.
>
> The library now using Open Office not MS is the same one which displayed
my FLOSS leaflets regularly over the previous 2 years. Maybe they actually
read them?

> Money talks. Or the lack of it. Central Government is doing a lot more
with open source philosophy, and standards. Libraries are closing. Schools
are under pressure. There is a lot of change about to happen, much of it I
suggest is unpredictable.

> After years of displaying at my local Computer Fair I notice that few
people now need to ask what (Ubuntu) is, they know. One of the traders at
the fair is even selling my DIY CDs of Ubuntu at another Fair he attends.
 A local trader in town is interested in selling Ubuntu on some of his
second hand laptops. He has shown it to several customers, who were, he
said, pretty surprised at how good it was.

> I think much change has already happened.
> Android is eating other companies' lunches, Chromebooks are looking very
strong and simple. I went to help a person recently, but found he was very
happily stuck, in Windows. However, he was desperate to buy a chromebook,
for its simplicity.

As Alan here does I am hopping to get at least part if his success as he is
having.

For those of you that feel that change is not happening please read this
twitter conversation:
https://mobile.twitter.com/PeterBazalgette/status/344422386008997889

When I am near a computer I would like to see the 'envisioning...'document
he refers to.

Peter is now the chair of the England arts council, the people in charge of
the people's network who manage, at least, the public facing end of
computers in libraries. I also contacted my local council and made a case
for using gnu/linux distros. A) I do not know about your local libraries
but mine are still on windowsxp. So they will have to replace it soon with
win8. And that has a steeper learning curve than any of the most common
distros. B) win8 will require new hardware. And most distros do not require
as much.

Appart from canonical who could provide the service? And why is windows
service cheaper than gnu/linux distros? I thought the reasoning was that
one gnu/linux admin was more expensive than a windows admin but a gnu/linux
admin could manage over more units, so turned out cheaper.