[ubuntu-uk] Public library OS choice

Paul Sutton zleap at zleap.net
Tue Jun 11 10:25:58 UTC 2013

On 11/06/13 09:28, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Simon Greenwood wrote:
>> This is the way things are going to go as outsourcing becomes the
>> norm and unless councils find a good reason to adopt FLOSS (and cost
>> doesn't seem to be one, despite what we're told about making
>> savings), it isn't going to change.
> Cost is one reason - it's more expensive to support a Linuxy desktop
> than a Windows one, generally, and by more than the cost of a heavily
> discounted Windows license.
>
> Windows support is easier to find and Windows people are cheaper.

Perhaps the solution is to help schools and help them develop computer
groups,   programming is on the agenda,  with computer science,  there
is an emphasis (certainly within some of the schools where I am) that we
need to give chidren / young people access to many different systems as
they are not growing up in a Windows only society, (far from it given
market share of say Android on mobile devices)  Raspberry Pi is getting
in ( we have about 10 i think at the computer group I am running)

What is needed is more geeks / hackers from the community to help /
support these groups,  even if its helping in an after school group on a
voluntary basis,  It may result in children /. young people
reciprocating this,  so maybe if you're helping with a group, and are
good at testing ubuntu,  then there is scope to install a alpha / beta
of ubuntu and get the children to help test it, feed back etc,   maybe
teach those that are interested how to file bug reports and get
involved,   as it's been pointed out the main barriers to getting
involved are technical and confidence with the way the reporting system
works.

Not just schools a local charity where I am is up for installing
programming tools, dual booting with Linux (they have heard of it which
helps) to help develop programming skills etc, so there are plenty of
places that are open minded to change,  don't bother with central
government and local councils,  think smaller and grow from there.

Just make sure the backup and help is there for people.

Paul

http://www.zleap.net

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.