[ubuntu-uk] Public library OS choice

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Tue Jun 11 07:54:16 UTC 2013

On 10/06/13 22:54, Muñiz Piniella, Andrés wrote:
> Hello all,
> I was hoping some of you could help me clear this up.
>
> My local library is one of the only libraries that is actually getting
> bigger in the near future. One of the improvements is that they are going
> to install some new computers. I asked if there was a chance of it being a
> good chance of installing on those computers something other than windows.
>
> The response I got was that the people's network was a government funded
> initiative and that they where not given the option of installing anything
> other windows.

Bracknell Central Library recently upgraded to Windows 7 and surprised
me by also upgrading to Open Office suite. I would have preferred
Libre Office, but, yay. The back office and database software etc for
Bracknell Forest Borough Council is Suse Enterprise Server. I had
asked questions of my local Councillor and got myself a personal tour  :-)
In reality I believe that the IT department are well aware of benefits
of FLOSS but the 'expectation' for public facing stuff is the Windows.
It is the expectation which needs to be worked on.

UK Government now Mandating Open Source Software "Preference"
http://www.unpan.org/PublicAdministrationNews/tabid/116/mctl/ArticleView/ModuleID/1469/articleId/36389/Default.aspx

and for creation of software:
'....The default assumption should be in favour of coding in the open
and sharing software widely....'
'...it remains the policy of the government that, where there is no
significant overall cost difference between open and non-open source
products that fulfil minimum and essential capabilities, open source
will be selected on the basis of its inherent flexibility...'
https://www.gov.uk/service-manual/making-software/choosing-technology

good luck

--
alan cocks