[ubuntu-uk] Chromium - Memory Hog and Crashing

Phill Whiteside PhillW at Ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 7 21:26:27 UTC 2013

There is a known bug for low-ram machines
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/chromium-browser/+bug/1096603 But
I've not hit this with my machine (4GB RAM) with multiple tabs open,
although shockwave can eat CPU time at a silly rate if it gets upset. (See
comment #4 from Chad Miller). Last update I had from Chad (canonical guy
who looks after Chromium in the standard repos) was that he was going to
try to get chromium v27 to build for a 32 bit machine (v25 was the last
that could successfully do so).

I use the dev version of Chromium from alex at
https://launchpad.net/~a-v-shkop/+archive/chromium-dev I've chatted with
him several times in the past and he a decent guy.

Lubuntu are seriously considering switching back to firefox now that it has
been on the low-fat diet and handles low ram machines better and that we
want to include ORCA usability come 14.04.

Regards,

Phill.