[ubuntu-uk] Has anybody seen this and what do you think......

Les Pounder lespounder at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 19:57:56 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 8:42 PM, Pete <ponchorat1968 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  I guess most if not everyone out there know that Governments use Windows
> XP (Uk Gov't) and that it costs quite a huge amount to pay in bulk licenses,
> including local councils. Does anyone know how much these bulk licenses
> cost and how many the UK Gov't have?
>
> Hi Pete

I know from first hand experience that the UK Government (DWP - Department
of Work and Pensions) pays for their IT via a lease to HP. A desktop
machine is £70 per month, and a laptop is £80 per month. Software is
maintained by HP, and a standard package of software (Email, Office and
Internet Explorer 6) are delivered as standard. Users can request more
software, and this is approved via their line management chain, but the
prices are fixed by HP, and are not open to outside bidders.

Hope this helps.

Les Pounder