[ubuntu-uk] Dual-booting Ubuntu 13.04 and Windows 8

Gordon Burgess-Parker gbplinux at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 15:26:09 UTC 2013

I have a Lenovo Ideapad U410 which came with Windows 8 pre-installed.
I'm running into a problem preparing for dual boot with 13.04.

The partition table looks like this:
http://sdrv.ms/1692SMb

I disabled Intel Rapid Start in the BIOS, and re-booted a couple of times.

I booted from the Ubuntu CD and tried to look in the three un-named
partitions (plus the Windows8_OS one, which is where all my data is
currently residing) on Disk 1 to see what they contain.

Every one I try to open gets this error message: (The volume name is
obviously different with each one!)

Unable to access "Windows8_OS"

Error mounting /dev/sdb5 at /media/ubuntu/Windows8_OS: Command-line
`mount -t "ntfs" -o
"uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=999,gid=999,dmask=0077,fmask=0177"
"/dev/sdb5" "/media/ubuntu/Windows8_OS"' exited with non-zero exit
status 14: Windows is hibernated, refused to mount.

Failed to mount '/dev/sdb5': Operation not permitted

The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown

Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume

read-only with the 'ro' mount option.

Can anyone help as to why it still thinks that Windows is hibernated
when I've disabled Rapid Start and re-booted?