[ubuntu-uk] Decent, Cheap, Laptop for Ubuntu

pete smout psmouty at live.com
Wed Jul 24 13:53:27 UTC 2013

On 24/07/13 13:07, Roland Dunn wrote:
> Hi,
> Wonder if anyone can help.
>
> I'm looking to purchase a decent laptop, to be used with Ubuntu. I
> know, many laptops work with Ubuntu, I was just wondering whether
> there's a particular brand/model people use. Not interested in a Mac.
>
> I'm open to second hand. So any source where folks get them from would
> be useful too. Looking for around 6GB RAM.
>
> One key thing: must *not* get hot. I've been using a Dell XPS M1530
> for a good few years, but it gets so hot (and that's even using a
> cooling gadget underneath it) it's almost unusable.
>
> Any thoughts/opinions really welcome.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cheers
>

> w: http://www.cloudshapes.co.uk/
> https://twitter.com/roland_dunn
> http://uk.linkedin.com/in/rolanddunn

Hi,

I don't know where you are based, But my first port-of-call would be my
local computer recycling charity (jamies computers here in Southampton
[1]), they have a reasonably good selection of second hand laptops from
£75 - £150 depending on spec.
The last time I went in their I came away wishing I had a spare £100 for
a Sony Vaio laptop with dual-core, 500gb HDD & 6gb RAM! Their stock does
seem to change frequently so have a look and then google the lappy for
faults, compatibility.

In my experience anything that is not too new will work (if you go for
the latest and greatest then you may have to wait / or build your own
divers etc).

As for the overheating issue I have found it common if the laptop is not
kept clean, by which I mean cleaning the fan & heat-sink etc
under-the-hood, My Acer Aspire was suffering earlier in the week in the
hot weather, took it apart cleaned, replaced thermal paste on heat-sinkn
and all is great again. (note my Acer [80gb HDD dual core, 3gb ram] is
reaching EOL for Ubuntu I feel as Unity is using alot of umph, but I
should get another year to 18 mths outta it yet <touch wood>).

Hope this helps

Pete

[1] http://www.jamies.org.uk/sales.html