[ubuntu-uk] Virgin broadband from 20 to 60 megas

David King linuxman at avoura.com
Sat Jul 20 20:51:31 UTC 2013

In part it will depend on the speed of your wifi, it is slower than 20
Mbit/s then upgrading your Virgin broadband will make no difference.

Also consider the speed of the devices themselves, you wrote that HD
does not always work well, so it might be that your devices cannot
handle HD video well.

Increasing the speed of your connection is unlikely to make much
difference to the videos you download/stream. I have about 4 Mbit/s on
my broadband and can stream videos online okay, although HD videos not
always so smooth. Looking at the actual download speed for the video it
shows something less than the 4 Mbit/s.

I think that a faster internet connection will only allow you to do more
at once rather than making videos play better.

20 Mbit/s is already 5 times what I have and should be good enough for
streaming video. Even to more than one device at once.

I would suggest you only upgrade to 60 Mbit/s if it costs the same,
otherwise you are wasting your money, in my opinion.

David