[ubuntu-uk] Installing a wireless driver on a machine converted to Ubuntu from Windows

Simon Greenwood sfgreenwood at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 09:55:33 UTC 2013

On 28 Jan 2013 09:45, "Rowan Berkeley" <rowan.berkeley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 28/01/13 07:45, Simon Greenwood wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure how you get to questioning whether the solution works
without testing it and more to the point not knowing which network your
machine has. You can find that out by pasting the following code in a
terminal:

>> lspci | egrep -i --color 'network|ethernet'
>>
>> Post the output here if you can't interpret it.
>>
> Since the above indicated a Ralink network controller, I went looking for
that. Ralink themselves have merged with another company and completely
destroyed their old website, but I found a driver for the Ralink network
controller, here:

http://download.driverguide.com/driver/RT3060+RT3062+RT3562+RT3592/Ralink/d1803834.html
> I followed all the instructions given in the first post of this thread:
> But so far, no wireless connection on restart. All the commands in the
terminal sequence seemed to run perfectly, but I suppose there might be yet
more rival drivers to be blacklisted.

> --
>From memory that's a standard device, in fact the device that my laptop
has, although I haven't tried my machine with 12.10, but that would suggest
that the code exists in 12.04. I do have a minor problem with wireless in
that it doesn't always reconnect on wake but on the surface that seems to
be a Network Manager issue rather than a driver.

s/