[ubuntu-uk] Installing a wireless driver on a machine converted to Ubuntu from Windows

Simon Greenwood sfgreenwood at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 07:45:38 UTC 2013

On 28 January 2013 03:16, Rowan Berkeley <rowan.berkeley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27/01/13 19:26, Phil Dobbin wrote:
>
>> On 01/27/2013 06:52 PM, Rowan Berkeley wrote:
>>
>>  Hi,
>>> As you may recall, I bought a Compaq CQ58 with Windows 8 on it, and
>>> converted it to Ubuntu 12.10 using a USB stick. I have tried to follow
>>> the instructions given here in rather scattered form:
>>> http://ubuntuforums.org/**showthread.php?t=2103062<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2103062>
>>> I installed linux-headers-generic build-essential, as they say to do,
>>> then I downloaded what is apparently the most recent driver:
>>> http://www.orbit-lab.org/**kernel/compat-wireless-3-**
>>> stable/v3.6/compat-wireless-3.**6.8-1-snpc.tar.bz2<http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/compat-wireless-3-stable/v3.6/compat-wireless-3.6.8-1-snpc.tar.bz2>
>>>
>>> and the terminal said it had saved it with exactly that title. But I
>>> can't extract it with a cd command, no matter how I phrase it, because I
>>> get "no such file or directory". Why is that?
>>>
>> cd won't extract the file. For a 'tar.bz2' extension you need to pass
>> the following command:
>>
>> '$ tar -jxvf compat-wireless-3.6.8-1-snpc.**tar.bz2'
>>
>> whilst you're in the directory that contains the above file.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>>    Phil...
>>
>>  Well, thank you. I don't know how to navigate back there, it will be
> simpler to download the driver again. It may be that this particular model
> of CQ58 uses a Racal driver; there's a french Ubuntu forum where the user
> says that his model does. HP don't give detailed specs anywhere on their
> website. But unused drivers lying around don't do any harm (and hopefully
> neither do irrelevant Linux headers). Isn't it odd that most of the code
> given in that Ubuntu forums solution is wrong, yet the questioner says it
> worked for him? Or would it have been not wrong in earlier Ubuntu versions?

The driver code tarball is most likely to be in your Downloads directory if
you used a browser to download it. You will have to access it and build it
from a terminal.

I'm not sure how you get to questioning whether the solution works without
testing it and more to the point not knowing which network your machine
has. You can find that out by pasting the following code in a terminal:

lspci | egrep -i --color 'network|ethernet'

Post the output here if you can't interpret it.

Installing linux headers won't affect the OS.

s/
--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood
"TBA are particularly glib"