[ubuntu-uk] Installing a wireless driver on a machine converted to Ubuntu from Windows

Rowan Berkeley rowan.berkeley at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 18:52:28 UTC 2013

Hi,
As you may recall, I bought a Compaq CQ58 with Windows 8 on it, and
converted it to Ubuntu 12.10 using a USB stick. I have tried to follow
the instructions given here in rather scattered form:
I installed linux-headers-generic build-essential, as they say to do,
then I downloaded what is apparently the most recent driver:
http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/compat-wireless-3-stable/v3.6/compat-wireless-3.6.8-1-snpc.tar.bz2
and the terminal said it had saved it with exactly that title. But I
can't extract it with a cd command, no matter how I phrase it, because I
get "no such file or directory". Why is that?