[ubuntu-uk] Blank screen after update (packages)

A Untaintableangel at hotmail.co.uk
Mon Jan 21 12:43:13 UTC 2013

On 21/01/13 12:00, Anton Kanishchev wrote:

> Hi everyone
> I am experiencing an issue where Ubuntu 12.04 suddenly boots into a
> blank screen. Virtual console is fine so I am guessing it is an update
> issue. The computer is not frozen, as inputting the right password
> gets me access to the system(hdd activity visible). Any help would be
> appreciated

Does this sound familiar - you enter your password into the box on your
login screen (lightdm) and then it loads but you get a blank screen and
have to go to a virtual terminal (tty1 via ctrl+alt_f1)? and do "sudo
service lightdm restart" to get it back? I'm sure there was recently an
update to the lightdm package which fixed just that but it may be acpi
or kernel dependent? Of course stop me if i haven't described your issue
- do you make it as far as the login screen?