[ubuntu-uk] Installing Ubuntu on a machine with Windows 9

Rowan Berkeley rowan.berkeley at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 12:06:05 UTC 2013

On 07/01/2013 11:52, Ron Rhodes wrote:
> I've followed this thread with interest right from the beginning as I
> had the same problem when I purchased my Samsung NP350V5C-AOEUK with
> the new Windows 8 OS last November. A large number of postings have
> been made, most of them ignore the problem and many have gone off at a
> tangent so I have skipped back to answer the corrected original posting.
>
> I was aware of the problems being experienced with the new UEFI used
> on W8 but was confident I'd find a solution and be able to install
> Ubuntu. It took me several weeks but I succeeded by delving into the
> Ubuntu forums, eventually I found a posting which explained you needed
> a licence key which 12.04-1 LTS didn't have but that the newly
> released 12.10 64bit ISO does have. It has to be the 64bit and you
> need to use a USB Flash Drive following the appropriate instructions
> on the Ubuntu site and it worked and I have been dual booting and
> using Ubuntu for over a month.
>
> The posting also said that the 12.04-2 LTS release due out this month
> will have the licence key which I am looking forward to so that I can
>
> HTH, Regards, Ron.

Yes indeed. I saw one intimation on the main recommended Ubuntu
Community page about UEFI that said it had to be a flash drive, not a
CD/DVD, but it was just an isolated reference; the entire page goes on
talking about CD/DVDs, which after all are more familiar to most of us.
I shall get a USB stick and shove the 12.10 onto it, plug it in, try to
boot from it, and see what happens.