[ubuntu-uk] Problem on upgrade to 12.10 with mounting/unmounting discs, was Problem on upgrade to 12.10 with one usb disc

allen williams gerald.williams23 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 7 02:11:27 UTC 2013

Belated thanks to Colin, whose suggestion has enabled access to the usb
hard disc concerned as normal. However, I still get the spurious
inaccessible mounting (at /mnt) of the relevant hard disc as
"usb-ST350041_8AS_60CAFFFFFFFF-0:0-part1".

I also still have problems with the cd/dvd drive. Briefly, audio cds mount
and can be accessed without problems when inserted. Video dvds do not.
Some data discs will mount straight away, others will mount after some
minutes (up to about 5) of whirring and clunking and yet others not at
all, despite the whirring and clunking. A further category will mount once
in a blue moon: they don't work repeatedly, but if retried will on the
umpteenth occasion suddenly mount up without problems, only to revert to
non recognition on the next insertion. Newly burnt data discs will
typically mount up once after burning and then fall into the "blue moon"
category. Blank discs (cd and dvd) will mount up and can be burnt despite
there always springing up a "Unable to mount Blank CD-R (or DVD+R) Disc
Location is already mounted" warning.

I stress that all these problems have only arisen since the version
upgrade and I have not (apart from following Colin's suggestion) fiddling
with anything.

I simply do not understand what is going on here and am particularly fazed
by the inconsistency of it all. Help!

Below is the relevant bit of previous correspondence.

Happy new year

Allen Williams