[ubuntu-uk] Installing Ubuntu on a machine with Windows 9

Simon Greenwood sfgreenwood at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 12:37:38 UTC 2013

On 6 Jan 2013 11:32, "Rowan Berkeley" <rowan.berkeley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/01/2013 12:03, Sean Miller wrote:
>>
>> WUBI is fine with Windows 8
>>
>> I'm running it here...
>>
>> Just install it from Windows.
>>
>> Sean
>>

> Actually, I've tried that, but not with the disk; I've tried it with what
I called the 'self installer'. This is the procedure Ubuntu offer as "the
easy way" because it skips the CD stage altogether, it just downloads
directly into your files, then you find it and click 'run'. They call it
the "Windows installer" and it's here:
> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/windows-installer
>
> But I get exactly the same result: it seems to complete the installation
process and tells you to restart, you get a screen asking whether you want
to boot into Windows or Ubuntu, and when you try to boot into Ubuntu you
get a lengthy error message basically saying that it can't load the new OS
(which it bizarrely assumes is another version of Windows), because some
files are missing or corrupted. And that's that.

Can you give us the make and model of the PC?

s/