[ubuntu-uk] Any recommendations for an xhtml editor

kpb kpb at sohcahtoa.org.uk
Sat Jan 5 18:48:32 UTC 2013

Hello Mike, Alan and all

I understand the logic of Alan's reply, but I use a slightly indirect approach.

I 'design'(*) templates and then write text marked up in either 'markdown' or 'textile' markup formats. A couple of bash scripts convert my markdown/textile to html and add the resulting marked up snippet to a page template. I also use a simple script to generate a page index. The result will always be valid html, and I don't have to type the blasted < and >.

There are a number of 'static Web page generators' around now that allow much more sophisticated templating and layout.

(*) 'design' used loosely.

Cheers

On Fri, 04 Jan 2013 07:53:36 +0000
Alan Lord <alanslists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04/01/13 06:16, Sean Miller wrote:
> > XHTML is markup... there is not really such a thing as a "WYSIWYG"...
> > anything you use is gong to, ultimately, give you an inferior end result
> > to simply writing the XHTML from scratch.
>
> +1
>
> I have tried (in the long and distant past) various so called "wysiwyg"
> editors and all of them made really appalling markup. IMHO it's far
> better to learn the right way and just write clean markup.
>
> Open gedit, open Firefox/Chrome and you are off. :-)
>
> Al

Cheers
--
kpb <kpb at sohcahtoa.org.uk>