[ubuntu-uk] Video for dual-boot with UEFI Secure Boot

Rowan Berkeley rowan.berkeley at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 11:11:40 UTC 2013

On 26/02/13 10:39, James Tait wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Following on from the recent discussions about UEFI Secure Boot, this
> dropped into my Inbox over the weekend.  It's a series of three videos
> that may or may not help to explain what goes on during installation
> of a dual-boot UEFI system with Secure Boot enabled.
>
> - ---8<---
> http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLk2sjg_-F-McRbCBoVRkP1sYMbmDf6zJM
>
> My video series on dual-boot with Win8 & Ubuntu 12.10 using UEFI secure
> Boot. The Ubuntu-focused segment is in Part 3. It's not exactly
> Mythbusters, but I hope it helps dispel a lot of the UEFI Secure Boot
> nonsense.

I watched the first of these and looked at the associated website, but I
can't see why I should want to go through all this so that I can run in
Secure Boot mode. The declared purpose of the Secure Boot system is to
protect the end user against malicious code contained within a
supposedly innocent alternative Operating System package. There is no
reason to assume that this is likely to be found in Ubuntu (or afaik any
other) alternative OS package. It's a phantom threat to justify what is
really an attempt to discourage alternative OS as such.