[ubuntu-uk] 13.04 behaves differently...

Paul Sutton zleap at zleap.net
Thu Feb 21 16:28:56 UTC 2013

On 21/02/13 16:23, Barry Drake wrote:
> On 21/02/13 16:15, Paul Sutton wrote:
>> Why,?? dumbing down is fine for perhaps home users in theory, or
>> people with no technical ability, and they will stay like that, as
>> they can't learn anything, if they want help it makes life very hard
>> for old school hackers to do anything to help people, I know a lot of
>> people moving to debian and other distros which means that there are
>> then fewer people with excellent technical knowledge who can help,
>> long term ubuntu will end up suffering. Paul
>
> We're only talking about Nautilus - not Ubuntu.  IMO Nautilus is
> dreadful now.  I'm having to do things like the commandline 'find' to
> do stuff that used to be easily achieved from Nautilus.  I'm sure when
> I reported one of many Nautilus deficiencies as a bug, someone told me
> that this was the reason that an earlier branch form Nautilus had been
> put into 12.10 as a stopgap, and consideration was being given to the
> abolition of Nautilus in 13.04 if the Nautilus developers don't get it
> right!  It's not 'dumbing down' but rather due to sweeping changes in
> whatever widget library Nautilus is built from. (GTK - QT - DUNNO ....).
>

> Regards,        Barry.

This sounds a good move,  my comment wasn't aimed at ubuntu but if
ubuntu is using a tool that is being dumbed down then this affects
peoples view of Ubuntu,   If nautilus is going in the wrong direction
then we need to look at something else.

remember if we are converting windows or mac users, then to them
everything in Windows is written by Microsoft,  or everything in apple
is written by apple,  where as with ubuntu the development teams are all
over the world working on different projects and ubuntu is like the glue
that holds this together.    New users may not realise that nautilus is
written by different team not directly attached to ubuntu developers.

Paul