[ubuntu-uk] fglrx driver under 13.04

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Thu Feb 21 11:27:58 UTC 2013

Hi there ....  If any of you are using the AMD fglrx driver you might be
interested in this.  The driver is fine under 12.10 and earlier, but
under 13.04 Raring the driver works perfectly but gives an annoying
transparent message in the lower right screen saying 'AMD Unsupported
Hardware'.  The search engines tell me that this problem exists in every
Ubuntu upgrade until the driver developers get around to recognising the
new version of Ubuntu - which can take a while..

Two workarounds are offered.  The one that uses 'sed' simply breaks the
current version and needs fglrx removing using the commandline, in order
to rescue the system.  An elegant solution that works for me is to
simply replace the file 'control' in /etc/ati/ with the one from an
earlier Ubuntu version (in my case, 12.10).  /etc/ati/ is a symlink -
the full path on my installation is
/etc/alternatives/i386-linux-gnu_ati_conf  I have saved a copy of
'control' as I assume that the annoyance will come back with the next
kernel upgrade.

Regards,        Barry.