[ubuntu-uk] Windows 8 (a pox on it)

Rowan Berkeley rowan.berkeley at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 02:20:10 UTC 2013

On 18/02/13 22:39, Alan Bell wrote:
> On 15/02/13 17:43, Alan Pope wrote:
>> On 15/02/13 17:40, Rowan Berkeley wrote:
>>> He says: "Windows 8 hardware uses the UEFI replacement for the
>>> traditional BIOS, like Macs do. Some solid-state drive-equipped Windows
>>> 8 PCs boot so fast that you’d only have a 200 millisecond (that’s 0.2
>>> seconds) window of opportunity to press the key combination."
>>>

>> That's daft. You hold the key down then press the power button. No magic.
>>
>> Cheers,
> this is specifically why grub uses shift as the interupt key, it is one
> of the few keys that the BIOS or equivalent won't complain about if it
> is pressed down on bootup. You can press and hold shift and restart and
> get to the grub menu.

The author of that dicouraging claim (about the 200 millisconds) is
Christian Cawley, who says he is a freelance writer from the UK with
seven years' experience in technical support across a range of device
platforms and operating systems.

I think I've almost got my friend in Denmark sorted out. We've reached
the stage where I exasperatedly tell her that she isn't answering my
important questions, no matter how many times I pose them. But The Goal
is within sight.