[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu unusably slow

Gareth France gareth.france at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 22:30:40 UTC 2013

My system has never been much cop. Despite being only 5 months old it
struggles to play an mp3 and browse the web at the same time. No idea
why. However tonight it ground to a halt, the hard drive access light
went mad and the mouse stopped moving. Then it moved in jerks and a
variety of windows greyed out and came back again over and over. The
system did recover eventually but I've never seen Ubuntu act in this
way, something I used to see all the time with Windows.

I was able to load the system monitor and capture a few snapshots of the
running processes. They don't look right to me, the useage of
Thunderbird and Firefox seems far too high and the duplicated processes
seemed a bit odd too. I just wondered what you guys made of it.

www.cliftonts.co.uk/system1.png <www.cliftonts.co.uk/system1.png>
www.cliftonts.co.uk/system2.png